Tools for Professional Communication
May 22, 2018
Communicating With Clarity & Credibility - Essential Skills
May 22, 2018, 9:00AM – 4:00PM
Do you talk or do you communicate? Are there times you don’t know how to bring up something that is important to you? Or state a different idea? Do you shut down or get defensive when a conversation becomes uncomfortable or confrontational? If you’re blamed for something, do you lash out and say things you regret, or not speak up at all? Maybe hold grudges, and then treat people differently? Do you lose sleep after you have had a disagreement with someone?
This training combines essential communication skills that help people listen effectively and discuss what matters, in calm, clear, non-threatening ways. Learn to address difficult subject matter with composure, tact and confidence. Navigate subjects that can cause tension, avoidance, resistance and discomfort. Understand and practice how to feel strong emotions without letting them direct your behavior. Learn to identify what you want to communicate, and then stay focused on that, delivering your message in an authentic and receivable manner. Recognize if you are communicating or just repeating yourself - and the difference between the two. Learn the five essential ingredients to professional, adult-like communication, and practice these in your own style. Participants emerge skills to stay on track and communicate collaboratively.
- Learn the basic components needed to communicate with clarity and credibility
- Increase your competence and communication confidence
- Assess your communication style and communication challenges
- See that perception is unique to each person and how this alters communication
- Understand the significance of your body language and nonverbal communication
- Learn to make yourself more approachable
- Improve your listening and question asking skills
- Prepare for difficult conversations and engage them calmly and effectively
- Improve your ability to express and manage feelings appropriately
- Decrease defensive and destructive communication patterns
- Solve the issue at hand and/or claify & resolve the uncomfortable difference
- Manage landmines and surprises constructively
- Develop a personal communication action plan
Communicating with Clarity & Credibility - Essential Skills: May 22, 2018, 9:00AM – 4:00PM
Location: Broadway Commons • 1300 Broadway St, Mexico Room • Salem, OR 97301
Cost: $200.00. A series group discount of 10% per person is available for groups of 5 or more.