Take a break from thinking too hard!
Thinking too long or too hard? Take a break for a better outcome!
The brain under constant strain will often freeze and just shut down, losing its focus, flexibility and accuracy. While thinking, designing, focusing and planning are critical needs and skills, hyper focus is detrimental and stresses the brain. It tires the prefrontal cortex and reduces both accuracy and efficiency. Ever had this feeling? It's like you just can't think!
Here are some things you can do to get the brain unstuck, increase blood flow to the higher regions and reduce this stress.
- Take a 5-10 minute break for every hour you are in focus mode.
- Get up, walk for a few minutes, stretch, drink a glass of water.
- Get outside or look outside to the furthest point in the distance.
- Connect with a colleague for 3 minutes, appreciate some humor
- Close your eyes and slow your breathing.
- You burn excess glycogen when hyper focused so eat a healthy snack every 2 1/2 hours.
- Consider incorporating these into your meetings, a 5-10 minute break each hour.
The benefits? As you begin to incorporate mini-breaks into productive work sessions, you increase flexibility in thinking, working and focusing. Accuracy and efficiency are increased. And, with time and consistent use, it is possible to rewire the brain and develop greater pathways that spark these higher quality thinking neural structure.
TAKE-AWAY: When you have a pressing outcome or strain timeline, increase your productivity and accuracy by taking a break - 50 minutes on / 10 minutes off.
StayWell and take a break,